Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Teacher Appreciation Week, Raise Your Hand, Social Studies Standards, Settlement Action


Happy Teacher Appreciation Week!  First off, let me thank you for all the work you do for your students and schools.  One of the best parts of my job is that I get to see what Anoka-Hennepin educators do first hand. The more I see, the prouder I am of each one of you.  I also get to hear what local residents really feel about their schools.  When I tell people I work for you, they inevitably share a story of an educator who made a difference in their life.  Know that they do appreciate you and understand the incredible contributions you make to our entire community.  So on behalf of everyone at AHEM, thank you for choosing to improve the world by being an educator.

Raise Your Hand:  Education Minnesota has designated Tuesday May 3rd, National Teacher Day, as “Raise Your Hand for Education Day.” Our goal is to have every Minnesota educator, parent and community member pledge to support our schools.  Your quick, online pledge can be as simple as “I raise my hand to helping each one of my students succeed” – which is exactly what you are already doing every day.  Please take a moment to help us show a strong, unified voice in support of our students by visiting www.iraisemyhand.com .

Social Studies Standards:  The Minnesota Department of Education has the latest revision of the Minnesota Social Studies standards available for review at http://ht.ly/4Lmvj .  If you are someone who will be teaching these standards, the MDE could use your feedback.  You can submit your comments to the MDE by May 8th at http://ht.ly/4Lmzi .

Settlement Action Committee:  As we prepare to go to the table with district negotiators, we are also making plans for our actions away from the table.  Our Settlement Action Committee puts together activities for the entire membership to help us come to a fair, timely settlement.  If you are interested in helping organize your colleagues around bargaining, join us this Thursday May 5th, 4:45 pm, at the AHEM office.  Email us at ahem@anoka.k12.mn.us to let us know you’ll be there.