March 1st Deadlines: This Thursday marks the deadline for a number of requests in our district. Remember the March 1 deadline if you:
- Intend to retire at the end of this school year or any time next school year
- Plan to take the early retirement option just negotiated this past round of bargaining
- Request a voluntary contract reduction
- Request to return to your entitlement after a voluntary contract reduction
- Return from a leave of absence
- Request to take one of a number of types of leaves of absence in our contract
- Request a job share assignment
- Return to our bargaining unit from a position outside of our group
Whenever you plan to make a big change to your employment status, double check the deadlines in your contract.
Governor Dayton Needs to Hear From You About Seniority: The bill targeting teacher seniority in layoffs, House File 1870, passed the Senate yesterday on a mostly party-line vote, 36-26. The Senate version differs from what the House passed, so the bill now goes back to the House. If the House concurs with the Senate’s changes, the bill will go to Gov. Mark Dayton; otherwise, it will go to conference committee.
Urge Gov. Dayton to reject HF 1870. It goes too far in eliminating seniority and undermining work already under way in locals to create fair, effective teacher evaluations. To send a message to the governor, visit http://tinyurl.com/7vlqhdf at lunch or outside the duty day. There you can use prepared points, modify them, or write your own story. Please take five minutes today to protect your rights.
Dues and Taxes: The best way to find how much you paid in dues last year for tax purposes is to check your online pay records – the year to date calculation on your last statement of 2011 will be most accurate. If you want to cross reference our dues chart, visit http://tinyurl.com/6px93tq.